Friday, September 14, 2012

The Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum

Part of the Barber Motorsports complex, this is probably the finest motorcycle museum in the world. Skip Barber, who made a fortune in the dairy business, was an avid car racing enthusiast as well as a motorcycle collector. I was there when the doors opened at 10 AM, and didn't leave until 4:30 PM, and I hurried my way through the museum. I hope to return to spend more time there.


I was happy to see a YDS3 Yamaha right inside the entrance. This was my first motorcycle (mine was red) back in 1966.


Inside the museum a guard and security tiger keep a close watch for any rowdy behavior or sticky fingers.


I love the Art Deco style on this BMW.


A lovely Triumph Speed Twin was the model for the post WWII British manufacturers to emulate.


The American Crocker was produced in Los Angeles in very small numbers.




The styling on this Italian Aermacchi Chimera was a bit to radical for conservative motorcycle buyers. The model was never a sales success, although today it is eminently collectible.


The Flying Merkel is usually seen as a board track racer, but they also made street models.




Finally, a stylish 1937 BMW R17 with a Stieb sidecar.




The museum also contains quite a car collection, mostly racing, although this Lotus Elan is a street model. Mrs. Peel must have just stepped away for a flute of champagne.



The museum shop had lots of T-shirts and hats, but little in the way of literature or models. I left at 5 PM and headed northeast on I-59, spending the night in Fort Payne, AL.


No comments:

Post a Comment