Sunday, September 9, 2012

Utah and Colorado, New Mexico and Oklahoma

I left Torrey early and rode east on UT 24 through the morning chill to Hanksville, where I had breakfast at Blondie's. The rock/fossil/dinosaur bone shop was closed and is for sale, as is the restaurant where I ate the last time I was there. Apparently, Hanksville hasn't weathered the recession very well. Highway 95 south goes through Canyonlands National Park and skirts Glen Canyon, and the smooth road is a treat with little traffic, and stunning red rock formations in the distance.


Highway 95 goes past Natural Bridges National Monument and ends at US 191 just south of Blanding. I went south for 10 miles and turned east on UT 262, another very lonely road that becomes Colorado 41 at the border and ends at US 160 a few miles east of Four Corners (been there, done that).

Utah 262
US 160 is a popular vacation ride through scenic southern Colorado. It bypasses Durango, and I followed it east towards Pagosa Springs. Near Bayfield I encountered the sign below, which isn't much of an endorsement for the painting company:

Looks like Bayfield Painting needs to come back for a little touch up work.

I reached Pagosa Springs in the late afternoon, and stopped in a coffee shop to consider my options. I would have liked to have ridden another hour or so, but it was beginning to rain and I didn't think there were any places to stay for at least another hundred miles on my planned route. By the time I finished my coffee it was late enough that I didn't feel bad about spending the night in Pagosa Springs. With time before dark I walked along the river (there was a beer festival going on at a park on the river) and through the town before dining at a restaurant close to the motel.
 


The following morning I rode south on US 84 into New Mexico and east on US 64. This is mountain country and it was chilly at the high elevations. The road was curvy and well-maintained and it was a great ride, with quite a few motorcycles, not many cars or trucks, and more State patrol cars that I expected, which made me think that the road might be popular with those who like to test the limits of their machines and themselves. After a quick breakfast (and warm up) in Chama I continued east on US 64 through Tres Piedras and stopped to take a picture of the Rio Grande.




Route 64 goes through tourist-crowded Taos, and continues into the mountains. Outside of town I soon realized that there was a bicycle event going on, but fortunately, the bikes were spread out and it was no problem getting around them - the advantages of a motorcycle. I stopped in Eagle Nest for lunch and walked around a bit before continuing east. I took the US 56/412 cutoff to Springer and followed the road to Boise City, Oklahoma where I rejoined US 64, and spent the night in Guymon.

US 64 across the flat Oklahoma panhandle is straight and mostly deserted except for trucks and local farm vehicles. I'm rarely bored when I'm riding a motorcycle, but this was one of those times. At least the weather was good. I had dinner in Vinitas, OK at a restaurant on a lake, and spent the night at a motel in town that was mostly full of road construction workers - friendly guys who asked about the trip.

In the morning I took a complicated route of small roads to get into Arkansas (OK, I was mostly lost) finally stopping in Jay, OK for breakfast. How can you not stop at a cafe called "Nana's?"


Finally in Arkansas, I passed through Bentonville and I was surprised to pass many very large houses on my way into town. Then I remembered - Bentonville, where Wal-Mart began. I went on east on US 62 to Eureka Springs, which is an old resort town in the mountains in the northwest corner of the state. It's a tourist and party town, but was quiet on a mid-week afternoon. 


A few miles outside of Harrison I turned south on AR 7 and rode through the heart of the Ozarks through such quaintly named towns such as Booger Hollow and Dogpatch. Not much traffic on a Tuesday afternoon and the scenery and the weather contributed to a great ride. I went southeast on backroads before I-40 and bypassed Little Rock, then joined the Interstate, which I followed to Forrest City, about 60 miles from Memphis.

Next up: Graceland!

No comments:

Post a Comment