Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Duluth to Greenbush

Tuesday morning in Duluth was cool, gray, and threatening. It had rained hard during the night, and I prepared for a rainy day by starting off in my rain gear. Naturally, it never rained and the weather became warmer and sunnier as I rode south.

Leaving the charms of the Grand Motel, my first stop was at the Aerostich factory on 18th St. near downtown, an old, red brick building where Aerostich motorcycle riding suits are made. The factory has a small shop on the ground floor where many items from the huge Aerostich catalog are sold, along with some clothing, seconds, and discontinued items.

Only one other bike at the Aerostich factor at 8:30 AM. When I returned a couple of hours later there was a row of bikes that took up all the parking space
 I had packed too well and needed nothing, so after a short look around the shop, I rode downtown and turned right into Canal Park, where I had an excellent breakfast at Amazing Grace.

Outside the Lake Superior Vistors' Center and Museum

Afterwards I went to the Lake Superior Visitors' Center and museum, but it didn't open until 10. Since I had a full riding day ahead of me, I skipped the museum and went to Fitger's Brew Pub where I asked directions to the Bob Dylan manhole covers. After a little riding around I found one near the library on Michigan St., also known as Bob Dylan Way. It was in the middle of an intersection, so I only had time for a quick shot.

Terrible picture - I was in the middle of a crosswalk. (reference is to Subterranean Homesick Blues - better jump down a manhole/ light yourself a candle/ don't wear sandals)
I remembered that I'd meant to ask about my sticky jacket zipper at Aerostich, so I returned to the factory, and was directed to Dylan, who is the zipper expert. He quickly replaced the slider, and now the zipper works much better. From Aerostich I got on I-35, I-535, and US 53 south across the bridge to Superior, WI and then straight south. US 53  is four-lane local access at first and then turns into a limited access expressway. It's all farm country and woods and rivers and lakes. I stopped in Osseo at the Norske Nook for lunch and a slice of rhubarb pie, which was excellent. The only other time I'd been there was with Carol in 1977 on the way to Maine for our wedding.

.
Victor poses outside the famous Norske Nook
South of Eau Claire US 53 merges with I-94 and I followed that to Mauston, where I headed east on WI 82 and then 23, which I rode all the way to the turnoff for Geo and Annette's house in Greenbush. The dogs must be used to me, because they didn't even set up a ruckus as I rode past the house and into the garage. Since I'd seen Geo and Annette just two weeks ago in San Francisco, we didn't have a lot to catch up on, but we still talked into the evening.

Today Geo gave me a tour of the Wade Carriage Museum in Greenbush, where we spent an hour examining various horse-drawn carriages as well as a steam powered fire engine. Somehow I always manage to visit a transportation museum on my trips.

A steam powered fire engine



 After lunch in Sheboygan we visited Bookworm Gardens, a project that uses children's books as the basis for botanical displays and children's play areas.

Geo at the entrance to Bookworm Gardens



The magic schoolbus

A wind sculpture


Tomorrow I'll be up early to ride to St. Paul and the BMWMOA rally there. While I'm thinking about it, I'd like to thank Kwik Trip gas stations in Wisconsin for offering premium gasoline with no alcohol - Victor appreciates it.




No comments:

Post a Comment