Thursday, July 24, 2014

The BMW Rally

This morning I said my goodbyes to my gracious Greenbush hosts and headed west on WI 23 to Fond du Lac, then north on 41, and west again on 21 to I-94 - this route avoided the detour on 23 around Ripon. I stopped again in Osseo at Norske Nook for lunch - a salmon wrap and rhubarb pie. The rest of the day was spent on I-94 until I exited in St. Paul for the fairgrounds and the BMW Rally. Traffic at 4 PM was surprisingly heavy going east on the Interstate.

Registration for the rally went smoothly (I had pre-registered 10 days ago), and I spent an hour and a half looking at all the vendors (more than there are at the annual International Motorcycle Show in San Mateo), and asking at the Michelin booth about a front tire for my bike. There are four places doing tires at the rally, and all were busy. I'll take my bike to the Michelin booth tomorrow morning to see what the tire guys think. The tire doesn't seem to be wearing much, but it does have 7k miles on it.

The weather this morning was dry, cool, and partly cloudy - a very nice autumn day. It was 70 when I left Greenbush, and gradually warmed during the day, clouded up, and became more humid and windy. At the fairgrounds the wind picked up and there were a few sprinkles of rain, but that was all.

Tomorrow I plan to spend all day at the rally, perhaps attend a few seminars, see if any of the many vendors has something that I desperately need.

No comments:

Post a Comment